Evaluating Websites - Brief Tutorial
Is it a Good Website?
Dig a little deeper by looking at:
- Can you verify the information is accurate?
- Are there links to other sources of information? Are they dead or do they work?
- Do other sources confirm the information on the site?
- Is there a bibliography or other list of sources?
- Is the author or organization's name clearly indentifiable along with contact information?
- Who is the author and what expertise do they have in the field?
- Is the author/organization reputable?
- Is the page biased or objective?
- Is there inflammatory lanugage or does a particular agenda emerge?
- Does the site contain enough information (depth) to be useful?
- Is the information current?
- Is there a date on the web page? When was the content last updated?
- Do links on the page go to current material?
Useful Checklists and Resources