Developing your Topic
Once your topic has been assigned or selected:
- Think of important key words or ideas (tagging)
Try mind mapping
- Identify what you want to do
Persuade, review literature, write an essay
What has the instructor assigned?
- What type of information do you need?
Statistics, background information, studies, peer-reviewd articles?
- Analyze your topic so far
Is it too broad or narrow? Anticipate questions and arguments
- Summarize your topic so far
This is a good time to check in with your instructor and make sure you are on the right track
- Write out your approach to the topic keeping an open mind
Consider that the information you find during research may cause you to rethink things
- Organize your notes and start writing